Switch on Your Natural Fat Burning Machine
Switch on Your Natural Fat Burning Machine
If you want to drop some pounds or hold off the middle-age spread, there are easy ways to help your body burn fat. Simple lifestyle changes can transform your body into a fat burning machine. Speed up your metabolism by adjusting the way you eat, exercise and even sleep.
Eating to Burn Fat
Change your calorie intake. Weight gain is SOMETIMES caused by eating more calories than you burn. BUT (there's always a but LOL) simply cutting calories does not always lead to a permanent solution. Yes, your metabolism naturally slows down with age so over time you MAY need to eat less and exercise more to avoid storing fat. However, this is not always the case. I wish it were simple enough to give a straight answer. The best I can say is that sometimes you need to cut calories; sometimes you need to eat MORE of different things. This is probably the most difficult thing for clients to understand.
The first meal of the day is important. You can still enjoy a hearty breakfast. Your metabolism slows down while you sleep so get it going again with a healthy feast. Oatmeal with cinnamon or fruit yogurt and granola are both excellent breakfast choices. Try to include some protein with breakfast to lessen the glycemic load. Notice I didn't say when breakfast should occur. If you struggle with metabolic syndrome, delaying breakfast might be a good option.
Change your eating patterns. If you eat frequently, try intermittent fasting. If you only eat one or two meals per day, try eating more frequently. Both scenarios have their plusses and minuses. Either way, fill your plate with mostly lean meat and leafy green vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, a little starch and no sugar. Sometimes, staying full much of the time makes it easier to resist junk food. Experiment around and see what suits you most. Then when you plateau, change it up.
Drink alcohol in moderation. Alcohol is a depressant that slows down your central nervous system. You can still drink a glass of wine with dinner if you balance it out with lots of water. Water aids digestion and gives your metabolism another modest boost.
- Be smart about using supplements. If you take a fat burner, make sure it's non-stimulant. I have a good one that I recommend.
Exercising to Burn Fat
- Build up your muscle mass. Even seniors can increase their muscle mass with weight training. It's worthwhile because a pound of muscle burns more calories than a pound of fat. If you're new to weight training, start off gradually to avoid injury.
- If you prefer other activities, you can get similar benefits from movements that use your own bodyweight for resistance like push-ups, crunches, and Pilates.
Vary your routine. Your body adapts to any familiar activity so you use up fewer calories over time. Cross training will stimulate your body's metabolism. Get off the treadmill and take a dance class from time to time. Of course, I recommend CrossFit!!
- Do interval training. Interval training is another proven strategy for burning more fat. Break up your morning jog with a few sprints. Jump rope for a couple of minutes during low-impact aerobics. This way you train both your aerobic and anaerobic energy systems so you lose more calories from fat. Again, CrossFit is highly recommended!!
Other Lifestyle Tips For Burning Fat
Sleep in a cool room. Get a full night's sleep in a cool room. Your body processes calories more efficiently when it gets 6 to 8 hours of slumber. Studies show that room temperatures of about 60 to 65 degrees can help you fall asleep faster and burn more calories per hour.
Start fidgeting. On average, people who fidget are thinner than those who don't. As long as you're not distracting others, swing your leg and shift around. Even better, get up during TV commercials to do some lunges and take the stairs whenever you can.
- See your doctor. If you need more help, talk with your doctor. Testing and treatment is available for many conditions that make it harder to lose weight such as hypothyroidism. Your doctor can also advise you on dieting and exercising safely.
Daily activities can trigger your body to burn fat more effectively. With these simple lifestyle choices, you can reduce your body fat and stay lean and healthy for life!